If you are curious, broad-minded, love working with children, are interested in supporting us on site in Kenya, and are of age (by the time the internship commences) – then we look forward to receiving an application from you!
In conjunction with our Kenyan partners, we have devised the following guidelines:
- Length of stay: 6 weeks minimum to 3 months maximum
- The total number of volunteers who will be on site at any one time will be determined in consultation with our local team in Kenya.
- A three-week interval between visits is required.
- Attendance of a preparatory seminar is desired.
This means that good planning is essential, which is why we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible and ask that you keep your schedule flexible.
Social workers will devise weekly schedules for all volunteers at the beginning of their stays, which may include—depending on individual preferences and skills—the following:
- supervising the children’s leisure-time activities after school lets out and on weekends (playtime, arts and crafts, reading, various sports, etc.)
- supervising children doing homework
- supporting MCC-personnel (in the kitchen, on the farm, in the kindergarten & at the school)
- implementing a host of smaller, distinct, creative manual labor projects
The MCC-Family also always welcomes and appreciates new ideas and suggestions for activities and workshops.
For more information and/or to submit your application (a cover letter detailing the reasons why you’d like to volunteer and a copy of your résumé), please email: ELISABETH HAUBER email@example.com.
The following sites, from the German foreign ministry, contain useful information on Kenya:
– General Information on Kenya (in English)
– Travel and Security Advice for Kenya (German only)
Reports compiled by previous volunteers:
Shamba (report by David)News from the Shamba The temperatures have risen to over 30 degrees since I arrived four weeks ago. It is February 2023 and the last rainy season was much too short. The river near the farm is slowly drying up – but the Shamba is still green! This is partly due to the fact that …
2023-03 Internship report by LisaHello dear Kenya enthusiasts! I’m Lisa, 20 years old and currently am volunteering at Maisha Mazuri Children Centre. I want to use my free time after graduation to make a difference, to gain experiences and to get to know a part of the world that is absolutely new to me. At the MCC, I share …
2022-12 – volunteer report by Julika and MatildaKaribu Kenia! It is September 28th 2022. We landed in Nairobi at around 8.00 a.m. – We have finally arrived and our time at the MCC Maisha Mazuri Children Center can begin. Already on the plane, the feelings mixed between excitement and huge anticipation and we quickly forgot about being hungry or tired after a …
Continue reading "2022-12 – volunteer report by Julika and Matilda"